There is no excerpt because this is a protected post.
Annette who is a Redway Runners coach and leads a number of runs for the club including the 6pm THursday Intervals session has written a Indoor Intervals session to do at home
This session is designed to be completed in a house with stairs and apologies to those that have 2 or more flights of stairs to deal with.
When using the stairs please ensure it is free from the stuff that the family put on the bottom step waiting for it to magically go upstairs….
If you live in a bungalow then you could always do it in the garden (even though it will be flat) but to get the benefit intended from the session, make sure you get your knees up!!
The aim of this session is to get a cardio workout, whilst encouraging you to lift your knees up the steps, this will help your general running form in all types of running. I am also asking you to lead with different feet each time which may feel uncomfortable at first but learning to lead on your ‘uncomfy’ foot will help when dodging obstacles or needing to weave around people in races where a change of direction is required.
- Ankle rotations for 30 seconds on each side
- Lunge walks for 30 seconds
- Stand upright and swing one leg forwards and backwards for 30 seconds, repeat on other side
- March on the spot for 1 minute, pick the knees up
- High knees jog for 1 minute whilst rotating shoulders
- Butt kicks for 1 minute whilst circling arms
Go up to the top of the stairs and recover down (gentle jog down the stairs normally), following this sequence:
- Walk up the stairs as you would normally, one foot to one step, lead with the left foot.
- Repeat by leading with the right foot
- Now try jogging up, one foot to each step, lead with the left then on the second repeat lead with the right foot
- Jog up with 2 feet to each step, lead with the left then on the second repeat lead with the right.
- Rest for 1 minute
- Lunge walk up 2 steps leading left foot, then leading right foot
- Walk up taking wide steps, left foot at the left edge of the step and right foot at the right edge of the step, 2 feet to each step. Go up again leading with the right foot
- Now repeat this jogging
- Rest for 1 minute
- Jog up the stairs, two steps at a time, lead with left then repeat leading with right
- Wide step jog up the stairs 2 at a time, lead with left then right foot
- Jog up the stairs normally, lead left, then lead right
- Walk up the stairs normally, lead left then lead right
All stretches to be held for 20 seconds
- Pretend you are hugging a barrel to stretch out the back
- Assume the handcuff position, hands clasped behind your back, to stretch the chest out
- Stand tall and reach for the sky!
- Stand tall, lean to the left (keep a straight back), then to the right
- Step forward and sink down, you should feel the stretch in the back of your calf, change forward leg
- Step forward and sit back as if you’re going to sit on a chair, you should feel the stretch down the back of your hamstring, repeat on other leg
Give yourself a huge round of applause for keeping active.
If anyone needs any demonstrations, then please let Annette know and can find photos or provide them.
Also let us know if you try this and what you think, this is a typical 6pm interval session so when we’re back come along and give us a try….
Following the statement issued by England Athletics ALL Redway Runners runs in the club are cancelled immediately (17 March 2020) till at least 31 May 2020
You can read the full England Athletics statement at:
Your safety has always been our main concern. We are disappointed to have to do this and are sure you will understand and agree with our decision
Couple of answers to questions:
** Will beginners’ groups still start after Easter?
Once we can start club runs again we will finalise the dates of the beginner’s groups and publish them, but will not start until at least 1 June 2020 at the earliest
** Will parkrun Graduation happen planned for Saturday 21 March 2020?
No, parkrun in the UK has been cancelled as well, once the club is back running and parkruns are resumed we will announce plans
** Can I run on my own?
That is your own decision, we will not be promoting runs on our social media channels, please follow laws and guidance
** What about meetings I am involved with in the club?
All Face to Face meetings relating to Redway Runners are cancelled, e.g. event planning, Run leads meeting, and committee meetings
** The club year ends on the 31 March will that have any impact?
No, the club year ends 31 March 2020, and we will start a new club year 1 April 2020 and renewals will be due, however, once restrictions are lifted we will then plan and hold the club AGM we will publish a date for the AGM with as much notice as possible
Finally, your safety is paramount to us and this has been a difficult time, we are Redway Runners and the green will be back on the Redways soon and we will again ‘Run Milton Keynes’.
Please do not be too disappointed, but we know we are.
With the current position we are going to make some changes within runs in the club with the main aim of protecting everyone.
We are constantly reviewing what is going on and making plans as things change, so please keep watching this page for updates.
These changes are:
- Signing in at club runs, we will not have a book handed round, the run lead will use alternate methods. Such as a headcount on smaller runs, taking a photo or having a nominated person(s) writing names in the book.
- Runs that start inside buildings will meet outside the entrance (please keep entrances clear).
- If you are not well DO NOT attend runs.
- Run leads will structure sessions to avoid contact, this is mainly on interval sessions when we tag/handshakes or do relays etc.
- Of the limited equipment we use on runs this will be thought through and will be cleaned between runs.
We nrecorded a Facebook live special with Tim the Redway Runners medical lead and Martin Lawrence, club chair, on Sunday afternoon, lots of people found this useful and interesting you can watch at:
The situation is constantly changing the most up to date information relating to the club will be on our club Facebook page
Well done to all Redway Runners at the club overseas trip to the GIG Malta Marathon, we had 22 taking part with 21 in the half and one, Matthew in the Marathon on Sunday 1 March 2020.
All successfully finished, group photo taken before the start of the half Marathon at Mdina.
Half was mainly a downhill route, but a bit congested at the start but a warm day for running at about 21 degrees with an occasional breeze.
Plenty more on the last Podcast and more on next weeks as well
Official results and photos at https://www.maltamarathon.com/_malta_marathon_results.htm.
Will not be long till membership renewals are due on 31 March 2020, so please make sure your details are up to date on your Redway Runners Love Admin account, especially your email address
You can log in and check at:
If you want to change membership category, do not wish to renew next year drop us a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can update your record
More information at:
Finally if you have not joined yet you can join us on-line at: