Redway Runners are proud to announce the start of a new club initiative. The aim is to help “novice” runners become marathon runners. This will be a simple and flexible programme that will make the most of existing resources within the club. The project will be led by Doug Yabsley. Doug will be supported by Redway Runner coaches, run leads and, most importantly, the many club members that have trodden the same path over the years.
So, have… the recent marathons whetted your appetite to pull on those running shoes and work your way up to a marathon? Are you excited by the idea that “it could be you” but not really sure where to start? Is there a special charity in your life that you would love to support through running a marathon? Well, if so, we can help and we want to help!
Everyone has busy lives. However, although this plan will be carefully structured to deliver you to the start line of the MK Marathon in May 2016, it will be flexible enough to fit into your own lifestyle. The Training Schedule will follow these stages:
To prepare you for a successful marathon race day, the plan will include a number of races:
We are now looking for people to join the programme in early June. There is no charge for joining. However, participants will be expected to pay for their own equipment (such as trainers, running gear and a GPS watch). There will also be race entry fees – we envisage at least 1 x 10K, 1 x Half Marathon, 1 x 20 mile & of course the “Graduation Marathon”.
We’re trying to keep things as simple as possible, and we’re keen to receive a wide range of applications, so we have kept the application criteria to a minimum:
• You must be available between June 2015 & next years MK Marathon which will be held in May 2016.
• You must be a “novice” runner. Applications are welcome from inexperienced Redway Runner members or non-members who are prepared to join the Redway Runners (RR).
• You must be local and available to train regularly as part of the RR club activities.
• You must be medically fit.
• You must be happy to be involved in RR and MK Marathon Public Relations & always ready to represent RR favourably.
• You must be happy to attend progress meetings, happy to interact with other members of your group and of course your mentors.
• Qualities that we need from you will include:
Facebook user; and
A sense of humour!
If you are interested in applying please send an e-mail to email@example.com by Wednesday 25th May 2015 telling us in a couple of paragraphs why you would like to take part in this exciting project. If you have any questions please contact Douglas Yabsley directly either via Facebook or email to the aforementioned – firstname.lastname@example.org