4 January 2020 – Latest Beginners Groups news
First the bad news, as we are in restrictions this means we cannot go ahead with our beginners groups, but as soon as we are allowed, we will confirm the revised start (and finish) dates, all bookings will be maintained to the new dates, further bookings can still be made and as soon as we have the new dates we will let everyone know.
We are pleased to announce we have also launched out first Virtual Redway Runners beginners group, these have the same format as our normal groups and led by our beginners leads and the sessions will be provided via You Tube and on most Podcast platforms, plus this group will also have a dedicated Facebook group to share ideas and ask questions, a new session will be launched each week and with this format you can do it at your own time, location and pace, plus you get the support with the Facebook group.
To sign up to the Virtual beginners course, you need to be a members (membership is just £5 to 31 March 2022), so join on-line then go to ‘Events’ then ‘Beginners Course – Virtual Course’ and book a place.
So no reason not to start your running journey, this group could also be ideal way to get back to running if you have lapsed, being virtual we do not have a limit on places
We are starting new Beginners groups in January 2021, to make sure that we keep you safe and follow all the latest guidance we will be operating with the following
- Each course will have a maximum of 12 beginners (plus two leads from the club). Except the virtual course
- You will be required to follow guidelines during the course, including Social Distancing at all times plus rules relating to tiers (MK is tier 3 so only those in tier 3 should attend)
- We will not be able to look after anything during the run and we will avoid any activity that involves contact
- As part of the course you will need to do extra ‘homework’ sessions during the week, so make sure you are able to complete these.
- Do not attend if you have any COVID symptoms or have been told to self-isolate.
- At the end of the course you will take part in a Redway Runners Graduation 5K run, this might be at the Milton Keynes parkrun or something else we will arrange.
- We will do our best to complete the course but we may have to cancel at short notice to follow guidance.
To sign up for a course you need to join, click here to join, then go to ‘Events’ on the on-line account you will create, if you are a member already, just sign in and go to ‘Eents’
The courses we are offering this time are below:
- Course number 124 is for Under 16s only
- Course 132 is a vitual course, delivered using Podcasts, You Tube and Facebook
- Redway Runners Graduation 5K will be week commencing 13 March 2021 – more to follow
The full guidance for taking part in beginners groups can be read at this link, click here
By taking part you agree to these Redway Runners Guidelines for our beginners group runs:
- You will follow all Government recommendation, click here
- Only if you have a booking confirmation can you attend the beginner’s group you have booked for
- Only paid members for 2020/2021 or 2021/2022 can book a place on a beginner’s group (sorry no trial runs at the moment)
- You will always maintain social distancing including before, during and at the end of the run
- Do not attend if you have any COVID symptoms (see cancelling a place)
- You will not attend if you have been instructed not to attend for any reason including shielding, have tested positive for COVID or have been told to self-isolate
- You will not touch anything where reasonably possible
- You will not pass anything to other runners or ask anyone to hold anything for you (including the run lead), ie keys, water
- You must wash your hands before the run and after the run – you must bring hand sanitiser
- You will not bring anyone else with you who has not booked, the run leads are instructed to turn both them and you away
- No Under 16s (except under 18s sessions)
- You will not share the start location before the run in any circumstances
- No spitting during the session
- If you cannot make a session then email your beginners group run lead
- If you do not make a run we will keep a tally and may not be able to continue with the course
- If the club must cancel a run then we will email as soon as we can, but it is safety first so may have to cancel at short notice
- If you break these guidelines then we can withdraw your ability to attend runs
- You will only book one course
About the beginner’s course
These courses are for those who have not run before and want to start running. Our courses start at a very easy pace and build slowly each week culminating with a graduation parkrun at Milton Keynes parkrun.
If you are an existing runner and have previously completed a 5K run, choosing from our club run schedule would be a better option for you. Why not try out some runs in our Run Schedule for a couple of weeks before joining?
You’ll need to be a member of Redway Runners to participate in our beginner’s course, this costs just £5 and can be completed online. Check out our Join page for all the details. Then go to ‘Events’ and book the course you wish to attend
The course runs for 10-weeks, and you’ll need to commit to attending each week and doing ‘extra’ sessions as homework. You’ll also commit to undertaking the Redway Runners Graduation 5K that will be at the free Milton Keynes parkrun or something else we will arrange.
The club has an under 18s group with an experienced coach who will use age appropriate distances for under 16s wanting to run. We are also offering a beginners group for under 16’s only
Both people need to join and register in their own name, so we know who we have on our courses
Sorry you can only book one course
It is always best to attend the first week as we cover a lot of general information about the course, but if you really cannot attend the first session still register for the first session, then come along week two and make sure you introduce yourself to the run leader before the start of the run
The first beginners course hosted by Redway Runners began on 21 Feb 2012. There have been many courses since then, hosted by a number of our run leads and on a range of different days, both during the daytime, weekends and in the evenings.
The course is aimed for those who haven’t run before or haven’t run for a while. If you are an existing runner and have previously completed a 5K run, our current runs would be better so have a look at those.
You don’t need to be able to run at all before the course and it is suitable for almost anyone. You will work at your own pace and build up very gradually. Please note that there should be no medical reason which would make running dangerous for you and if in doubt please ask your GP before attending.
Everyone can run at their own pace, starting off with a warm up and then moving into a mixture of running and walking that will build up over the course
The sessions are usually measured over time rather than distance and the run/walk intervals build up following a plan to prepare you for the 5km graduation at the end!
The course are 10 weeks, and about an hour each week. To get the most out of this course, you need to be able to set aside a couple more 1-hour sessions per week, but hopefully the running bug will last a lifetime!!
The course is free, but to take part you need to be a Redway Runners member, membership is just £5 and lasts to the 31 March
A pair of running trainers, some comfortable trousers, a drink and a stopwatch if you have one. If the weather is bad you will need appropriate clothing to keep you warm/dry. All of the courses take part outside
For courses taking place in the evenings during October to February, you are strongly advised to have small torch or head torch.
Hopefully you will be able to complete the Graduation 5K, we will also let you know about getting an optional graduation 5K medal to mark your achievement.
If you are not a member, you’ll first need to join Redway Runners, which you can do easily click here. Once you have an account, you’ll be able to access events in your online profile and book on to the beginners course you wish to book.
If you are already a member, login to your Redway Runners profile, select ‘Events’ and then book on the course you want.
If you would like any other information about the club, check out our About section or get in touch through the Contact page.
At Redway Runners we like to share details of runs and progress being made so we will often take pictures, sometime videos, to share on our social media and newsletters. If you do not want this then this course might not be right for you.
Still unsure you are ready?
It’s natural to feel nervous, but why not read through the feedback from our autumn 2019 graduates, and the press release for the graduation group on March 2019.
Also, this video created by Steve Ashman showing our January 2019 beginners groups graduating at Milton Keynes parkrun on Saturday 30 March 2019!
This could be you!